Posted on

Week 31: April 16-20, 2018

I am typing this week’s update with my foot elevated, from the comfort of my couch, watching the wind whip through my hemlocks.   Like most of you, I hope my power stays on and this storm is winter’s final appearance.  We need SPRING!

One of my first to do’s on Monday was getting a handle on lost and found.  Above are the items still not found as of Friday at 3 pm. If you see a sweatshirt or winter jacket that belongs to your child, send them down to retrieve it!

Our fifth graders did an amazing job on the M-STEP tests this past week.  They took ELA (reading/writing), science and math.  Total testing time was approximately 10 hours.  We have one more test to go: social studies.  This will take place on Tuesday.  For those students who were absent or need more time to complete tests, we will provide opportunity throughout the week.  We want our students to take the time they need to do their best.  The tests are complex and require focused attention, complex thinking/reasoning and the ability to complete multi-step directions.  Our fifth graders are doing an amazing job.  We’re very proud of them.

The test results for our district are used to evaluate our success in educating our students.  The state also using other measures — however, these test scores play a big role in our ranking against other schools in the state.  As you can see from the most recent ranking of schools, Hudsonville’s performance is outstanding.  We currently rank #15 in the state — above many schools in the West Michigan area.  The teachers at Georgetown (as well as all the HPS schools), spend hours above and beyond the teaching day working on lessons, taking courses (often paying for these personally), and purchasing items for their classrooms with their own money.  They are beyond dedicated to doing all they can to support your children as learners.  I feel honored to work with them.

A snapshot of our week is below.  A quiet week school wide — with the exception of our much loved and anticipated POPCORN FRIDAY.  Many thanks to parents (YOU) for funding this and those who volunteer to pop and deliver.

Be safe this weekend!

Mrs. Reagan