Posted on

Siberian Express Update: Feb 23-27, 2015

I thought I would go with the Siberian Express theme for one more post.  After today, all future posts from me will contain hopeful signs of spring!

Based on the forecast for this week, we have more cold coming our way.  This means inside recess — which is a downer if your are either a PK-5 student or a PK-5 teacher.  We do a very good job of working the learners brains all day long.  If you haven’t notice, school is really hard work.  Outdoor recess allows the children to move their bodies, brains and mouths in a different way so they can relieve any stress from learning and get the blood flowing.  And, there are also the usual side benefits of choosing what you want to do, finding friends to talk too and the bonding that goes along with complaining about “nothing to do” or “being bored” or “why do we have recess when it’s so cold outside.”

go noodleWhen the weather necessitates indoor recess, we do everything we can to promote choice and movement within the constraints of the classroom doing our best to monitor for safety and responsible choices.  The teachers have created a resources list of Inside Recess Options that include movement and game resources.  One of our favorites is GONOODLE.   This site offers “short periods of physical activity – dancing, running, jumping, deep breathing,and more – to help kids channel their abundant energy. Kids wiggle.”  GoNoodle gets the wiggles out, so we can get back to learning important stuff.

Our weekly events are listed below.  As you can see, no big school related events.  Check your child’s class blog to make sure you are up to speed on homework, quizzes, learning celebrations, etc.  The big event coming is PK•K Round UP.  This is a meeting for parents of upcoming PK/K classes.  For me, it is also a sign of spring!

Have a great weekend!

Mrs. Reagan

PS  If you want to help with naming the COW’s, check out this post.  I am looking for names and COW DRAWINGs/PAINTINGS.