Posted on

Week 20: January 20-24, 2020

Welcome WINTER!  I expected this weather last weekend…not this weekend.  And…it’s Michigan which means weather systems have a mind of their own.

We had a great second week back to school.  Every grade is well into new units of study in addition to checking mid-year growth for reading, writing, math and the content areas.  These winter months are our longest stretch of uninterrupted instructional time and we seize the moment.  If your child is tired and slightly cranky after school, we plead guilty.  We are asking them to be responsible, respectful and engaged learners all day long!

This weekend, I caught up on some of my favorite ‘learning, parenting, communication’ news articles and blogs.  I want to share an article that highlights the dangers of raising children with screens — either in their hands and/or in the parent’s hands.  Overuse of screen time is showing an impact on language learning — and the ability of children to read emotions — which has a negative impact on their ability to engage appropriately with others.  As a school team, we have wondered about the impact of handheld device use on children’s social/emotional development and this new research is warning all of us to put down the devices and interact more with our children.  I encourage everyone to read this article.  I also encourage you to build your parent knowledge by attending the district sponsored SCREENAGERS event.

I provide a two week view of upcoming events as a reminder about PK/K Registration, Early Release and Winter Break.  These dates are below.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Mrs. Reagan