Posted on

Teaching Tolerance: Racism and COVID19

I think it is important to inform your children about the virus and help them understand that this virus — was NOT created by a group of people —  and NO ONE should be blamed for this virus.

Teaching tolerance is part of our daily practice at Georgetown.  We work with children and we know that they repeat what they hear from others (peers, news media, etc.).   Children also also either/or thinkers — they are growing into complex reasoners/thinkers.  And they have more limited experiences than adults.

Georgetown has children of many different beautiful ethnicities and cultural backgrounds.  We want them to feel comfortable and proud of who they are and who they are going to become.  Because of this, we are committed to having a zero tolerance for hurtful comments with means pre-teaching tolerance and confronting/naming intolerance when it happens.   And it happens.  Children make comments about body size, body appearance, odor, skin color, skin texture (rashes, eczema, burns), disability (missing limbs, hearing aids), body shape and body size, faith, family make up, etc.

How do we teach tolerance on a daily basis?

When we hear a child make a statement or ask a question that could be felt or perceived as hurtful to another, we pull that child aside and engage in a teachable moment.  It usually sounds like this:

• I heard you say this to….
  • This is what those words can mean to that person…
  • This is the impact words like these have on this person…
  • When words like that are said people do not feel safe…
  • We need to figure out how to make this right and make sure this doesn’t happen again.
  • Where would you like to start?

These conversations are hard and long.  It usually involves myself and or another staff member meeting with other children too.  When intolerant words are used, there is frequently an audience.  We want everyone who heard the words to understand the impact and also to learn how to be courageous enough to stand up for one another if this happens again.

When I read and hear that Asian Americans are being blamed, teased and/or bullied for the COVID19 Virus, I am horrified.  I immediately think of all the children I know at Georgetown of Asian decent and I worry that they may hear this message and feel less than the amazing person they are.

This virus was NOT created by a group of people.  Please work to help your child understand that we have teachers, nurses, doctors, city/county workers, healthcare workers, grocery store employees, first responders and MORE who are diverse and working as hard as the rest of us to be safe and take care of us during this hard, difficult time.

What’s coming next…. A post tomorrow about connecting with teachers and kids and updates for next week.

Air Hugs,

Mrs. Reagan