Good Morning Georgetown Families,
I would like to send out a huge thank you to all of our families for their support and efforts as we moved to remote learning over the past three weeks! Teaching and learning remotely comes with many challenges, obstacles, and emotions felt by all involved. We couldn’t have made this work without the support and partnership of all of you. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for everything that you did and continue to do in order to help us climb the mountain that is the 2020-21 school year. I also want to thank our teachers and staff for all that they did to prepare for and execute remote learning. The staff worked to prepare and distribute devices, created and recorded lessons, reached out to our families to stay connected, and provided support at all hours of the day. Everyone helped to launch our remote learning initiative and help make it run as smoothly as possible!! Finally, I would need to convey how proud I am of our students for their grit, positive attitudes, and resiliency as we dove into remote learning! We truly are lucky to have such a great community that comes together to support our students!
I’m hoping you had some time to read and digest Dr. VanderJagt’s email about our return to in-person learning on Wednesday, December 9th. We are so excited to welcome back our students and finish out the 2020 year with them at Georgetown! Our hallways have definitely been quiet these past few weeks and it will be awesome to have the kids back in the building. Please know that this is still contingent on the MDHHS order from the state. We are closely monitoring this and will keep you posted if anything changes.
Below is the latest information for what you need to know as we transition from remote learning back to in-person learning on Wednesday, December 9th. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions that you may have so we can ensure a smooth transition back to in-person learning for you and your child.
Many thanks and gratitude to all of you during this trying year!
Timeline for Remote Instruction
- Friday, December 4, Monday, December 7, and Tuesday, December 8
- Attendance will be taken twice during the live Zoom Connect meetings (one in the am and one in the pm). Check with your teacher for your assigned times.
- Assignments will be posted to Google Classroom for students to complete in reading, writing, and math.
- Specials’ teachers will be available during your child’s scheduled specials’ class time via zoom. Check out this schedule link .
- Wednesday, December 9-Friday, December 18
- Students will return for in-person learning.
- Doors will open at 8:35 a.m. Students will be dismissed at 3:45 p.m.
- Saturday, December 19th-Sunday, January 3rd
- Winter Break! No school!
- If your child is positive for COVID-19 or has been quarantined for COVID-19 within the last week:
- It is important for parents to contact the office if your child has recently tested positive for COVID-19 or has been identified as a close contact with someone that has tested positive for COVID-19 recently.
- If your child fits either of these two scenarios, please notify our office as early as possible so we can work with you on your child’s return date for in-person learning and ensure that homework assignments are made available to your child to complete while they are out of school.
- GES Office Phone # = 616-797-9797 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Flowchart for Symptomatic Students:
- We will continue to follow the OCHD requirements listed on the linked flow chart for students that have symptoms and when to exclude a student from school due to the symptoms s/he is having.
If you received a device from school, please hold onto it for the time being due to the uncertainty of COVID and what lies ahead. We will not be collecting them at this time.
In-Person Learning Expectations
- Return to School Handbook:
- We will continue to follow all of the expectations that are outlined in the Return to School Handbook to ensure the safety of our students and staff as we come back for in-person learning on December 9th.
- Please make sure that your child has a mask or multiple masks to wear upon returning to school. Also, have your child practice wearing his/her mask prior to returning to school again to help with this transition!
Meals will be available for students while we are remote next week on Monday, December 7th and Tuesday, December 8th. If you would like to get meals for your child/ren, please click on the link below to order meals for your child/ren. You will need to order by noon today! Meals will be ready for pick-up at 3:30 p.m on Monday, December 7th at the Freshman Campus. Please wear a mask.