In all my years in education (+30), I have never experienced an extended snow day event with treacherous roads and dangerous temperatures. I can testify to the dangerous roads because I drove in from Holland on Monday and Tuesday — and left tension grip indentations on the steering wheel.
And yes…due to both (dangerous roads and temps), we will have another snow day tomorrow (1/31/19).
We are allowed six snow days per year (dictated by the State of Michigan for all public schools). Tomorrow will be our sixth day (11/26, 1/25, 1/28, 1/29, 1/30, 1/31). Dr. VanderJagt will provide information later if/when days must be made up at end of year.
THIS MEANS the following:
- NO MORE flushing ice cubes down the toilet (thank you to the parents who have already made this a rule).
- NO MORE wearing PJ’s inside out.
- NO MORE snow day dances.
- NO MORE wishing for a snow day. PERIOD.
So…back to the usual part of the snow day post. If you can get your child to read (read to them, have them read aloud or silently), or learn via mobymax or Raz Kids or Study Island, have them do it. If they are learning and you can’t enter it online, email your teacher. Currently 60% of our student population has engaged in some sort of snow day learning. I’d love to get that to 80% — but it’s also not worth a family argument. Trust me…. been there as a parent.
Really really hope snow days are DONE.
Missing the kids and the phenomenal Georgetown team,
Encourage your child to do at least 30 minutes of learning (see below). Thanks to our AMAZING PTC (made possible by your WALK•A•THON Donations), $10 Barnes and Noble Gift Card (one per grade) will be given to randomly drawn students.
AND EXTRA special INCENTIVE:
I will provide a PRINCIPAL pizza party for the classroom that has the MOST PARTICIPANTS in SNOW DAY LEARNING. This will be total of all days of all learners who participated. SO…everyday you are at home this week, get online to enter your reading minutes OR go to MOBYMAX or RAZ KIDS to LEARN!
Options for learning:
- Read a book or two or three. ONLINE Learning record for reading minutes.
- Learning on MOBYMAX or RAZ-KIDS through Clever.com:
- Log into https://clever.com/in/hpseagles
- Select log into other google account.
- Type in district username followed by @hpsstudents.net
- Type in password – if your child doesn’t remember the password, choose TIME TO READ instead!
- Select Elementary Apps
- Find MOBYMAX OR RAZ KIDS….get started!
Students have until 8 pm tonight to participate. (I opened the time period up thanks to a suggestion from a wonderful working parent!)