Posted on

Week 17: January 10-14

Blog winterAs I type this blog post, WINTER STORM WARNING is highlighted in every news feed — predicting poor driving conditions and snow days.

How are snow days called?  Our superintendent, Dr. Nick Ceglarek and our transportation director, Jane Bykerk, rise very early to drive the roads — each driving different routes to determine if the roads are safe for the busses to transport children to school. If Dr. Ceglarek determines if it is NOT safe to have busses on the roads, he contacts radio/news stations, activates a snow day email/phone alert to parents, and posts a tweet to his twitter account @nceglarek .

One of our high school students, Blake Harms (future  meteorologist), has a @hvillewxmantwitter account (@hvillewxman) dedicated to weather updates.  Blake has a solid record for accurate snow day prediction and he has great weather tweets and updates throughout the year.

This year, Blake is offering a snow day text alert service as soon Dr. Ceglarek tweets a SNOW DAY.  Through this system, I might find out there is a snow day 10 minutes before the automated service dials my number in the morning!

While Blake Harms is following the weather forecast models and Dr. Ceglarek is prepping his car for dangerous winter driving, children (of all ages) engage in odd bed time rituals rumored to increase snow day chances:  Spoon under the pillow; PJ’s worn inside out; brushing teeth with opposite hand; and flushing six ice cubes down the toilet.

No matter what happens, I will update the blog and school Facebook account (facebook.com/georgetown.hps) as soon as I hear the news of SCHOOL ON or SNOW DAY.

Signing off, with PJ’s inside out and shovel by my side,

Mrs. Reagan

PS:  Good luck on the Powerball.  If you win, remember me…your favorite elementary principal.

blog