Posted on

What is a BOILER?

The traditional definition of a boiler via wikipedia:  boiler is a closed vessel in
which water is heated.  The fluid does not necessarily boil.  The heated or vaporized fluid exits the boiler for heating.

old boilerWhen I think of a boiler, I imagine a huge metal tank with valves and dials, roaring away as it heats water to push through the building to heat the rooms.  The first school I taught in had a boiler that looked like the blue beast pictured to the left.

The water at Georgetown doesn’t come to a boil.  As a matter of fact, we don’t have a boiler innov.water tank.  Our “boiler” is a tankless design which means that our boiler takes up less space…and it is very quiet (especially when it isn’t working).   The water is pulled from the ground and it is flash heated, then cooled down to the perfect temperature to move through the building and keep us comfortable.  (Disclaimer…this is a very simplified explanation of a very complex system.  For all those heating and cooling experts out there, forgive me for what I have left out!)

Feel free to watch this video to become an expert on the AERCO INNOVATION 1350…the model we have in our school. The people who work on these systems need to have an understanding of plumbing, electricity and technology — which means they
pleune (1)need to have solid reading, math, science and technology skills, along with the ability to work as a team to communicate as they problem solve a breakdown.

The team from PLEUNE  is hard at work on our system right now.  Fingers and toes crossed that they get it up and running soon!